Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Stock-market screensaver

This is a little application I wrote during first 3 days of my PhD at Loughborough. It is a screensaver style financial data screen - the type that appears on TV channels such as Bloomberg and CNBC. Still written on the old .net 1.1 platform, it has an easily extensible 3-tier design. Data is accessed via yahoo.finance.com, hence data might be delayed (stock-prices delayed by 15 minutes) and the accuracy of data cannot be guaranteed. However if you are looking for a fun & cool financial data screen than don't look any further ;-). The application has following features:
  • FTSE-100 charts display area
  • Major Currencies display area
  • Stockprice ticker (15 minutes delayed)
  • Currency ticker
  • News feed display area (via RSS)
  • Settings: ticker speed, scroll direction and visual appearance, RSS feed settings and appearance (settings can be accessed by clicking in top-left corner below the logo)
There is still much to be desired for this application as I only had very limited time to design it. If you have ideas on how to improve and make the data-screen better I will be very happy to hear from you, I hope that if I get a little time I will extend the application myself.

Finally please note that if you use this application you are doing so at your own risk. I have tested the application to a degree but as I had limited time designing it there might still be a number of bugs in code. Hence I would discourage direct use for making real investment decisions. Rather use it to keep you up to date and informed about UK markets / Currencies / News. I for example keep this little financial data-screen running on my 2nd computer on my work desk during the day and every so often I glance over to read news-items. I find it quite useful and I hope you will to :-)

note: The application will change your screen resolution. When it is closed it will return back to the original resolution, however during the process desktop icons might be moved around undesirably. Please do read readme.txt file for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment