Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Catching the big Moves

Most trading seems to be sideways (I'll do an empiricall analysis sometime soon, when I get a spare moment), however at breakout points strong trending action tends to occur and this are the best places to get into positions with good stop loss order strategy. Especially then (with a loss limitting strategy) when you are wrong, it doesn't matter too much!! Famed trader Bruce Konver talks about this in Market Wizards [pp. 59]: Michael Marcus taught me one other thing that is absolutely critical - You have to be willing to make mistakes regularly; there is nothing wrong with it. Michael taught me about making your best judgement, being wrong, making your next best judgement, being wrong, being wrong, making your third best judgement, and then doubling your money.

I just experienced such a situation yesterday. Friday close & Monday open FTSE-100 rolling bet price was at around 4200 and I felt dead sure on selling short. Unfortunatelly I lacked the concentration & peace of mind to execute this trade, during the day the price fell down to 4000 with literally no big %tage up jumps that could trigger a good stop loss with reasonable bet sizes. With a 20 bet-per-point transaction size this would have produced a £4000 profit with only ever giving a virtual loss of around £500 during the trading day. The best thing of all, if I didn't manage to sell at end of trading, I would be able to sell for even less the next day untill 10am Greenwich Time.

You could say it is a shame I missed this trade, but this is completely beside the point. I have learned a lot by observing what my trade action would have been without putting money at stake. Next time a market price builds up that I am completely confident about its point moves, I hope I will have the guts to listen to my intuition and trade on it. Quite obviously it is conforting and true what Robert Petcher sais about this psychological problem all serrious traders epxerience at a certain point: It is difficult enough to develop a method that works. It then takes experience to believe what your trading method & intuition is telling you. But the thoughest task of all is turning analysis into money.

No comments:

Post a Comment